The roof is among the most crucial parts of any home. The roof protects the home from the elements, keeps the interior warm and dry, and adds to the house’s overall appearance.
When it’s time for you to replace an old roof or install a new one, many factors must be considered. Here are some tips on choosing, starting with the various roofing materials for your home:
Asphalt shingles are the most popular roofing material in North America. They are reasonably affordable and easy to install and offer good protection against weather damage.
- Easy roof installation
- Offer good protection against weather damage
- It can be prone to leaks and wind damage.
Wooden shingles and shakes
Wooden shingles and shakes are other popular options, especially in areas with high rainfall or snowfall. Wood is a natural insulator, meaning it can help keep your home warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
- Are a natural insulator
- Have easy installation
- One of the most affordable options
- Require more maintenance than other options
Metal roofing is becoming increasingly popular because it is durable, low maintenance, and fire-resistant. It is also eco-friendly, as most metal roofs are recycled.
- Highly durable
- Low maintenance
- High fire-resistance
- Most metal roofs are made from recycled materials
- It can be noisy during rainstorms or when hail hits.
This roofing is a good option for homes in hot climates. Tile is a very effective insulator that keeps your home cool even in direct sunlight.
- Effective insulator
- Excellent resistance against hailstorms
- Longer lifespan
- High rot resistance and fire-resistance
- Can be expensive
- It is heavy and may require reinforcement of the roof structure
Slate roofing is one of the most expensive options, but it is also one of the most durable, as it can last for hundreds of years with proper care and provides excellent protection against weather damage.
- It is one of the most durable options
- Are fire and mold-resistant
- High resistance to frost-damage
- Low maintenance
- Has the longest lifespan
- It is more expensive than the other options
- Heavier than the other options
Rubber Slate Roofing
Rubber slate tiles, or rubber slates, are almost similar to natural stone slate roofing, with a rubber base instead of a clay base. They are made from rubber materials such as tires and mimic rubber slate’s beauty. They are a durable option, but not as durable as the natural stone slate roofing, hence the lower pricing.
- Better durability than most of the other options
- High resistance to impact
- It is recyclable
- Excellent aesthetics
- More affordable than natural slate
- Won’t last as long as a natural slate
When choosing a roofing material, it is vital to consider the climate in your area, the style of your home, and your budget.
There is no perfect roofing material for every home, so finding the right option for your specific needs is essential. With some research, you can find a roofing material that will provide you with years of protection and enjoyment.
As you can see, each type of roofing material has pros and cons. It is important to weigh those factors against your needs to choose the best option for your home.
But if you are still stuck, you can always contact a roofing contractor in your area for help.
Residential roofing vs. commercial roofing: which materials and designs are best?
There are some critical differences between residential roofing and commercial roofing. Commercial roofing is usually more complex, with a higher price tag.
The roofing material you choose will also be different – for example, asphalt shingles are not typically used on commercial buildings. And finally, the design of your roof may be different, as commercial roofs often have to accommodate things like HVAC units or solar panels.
Here are some common types of roofing designs:
- Flat roof
This design has been around for years and has achieved massive popularity due to its simplicity and inconspicuousness. The flat roof looks like traditional shingles, made of interlocking material with a chain-like pattern.
The flat roof allows lots of ventilation which means that this type of roof is best for areas with heavy snowfall or where it will accumulate substantial amounts of water.
- Hip roof
This type of roof has several sharp edges that rise above the building. The idea behind the design is to allow for extra insulation and ventilation at the top part of the house. A hip roof is usually paired with steeply sloped sides.
- Gable Roof
This one is another well-known design used for years on traditional houses across different parts of the world. Its popularity comes from its simple style and functional structure.
The gable roof gets its name from the shape of its triangular sides called “gables.” The gable roof is attached to a building’s exterior walls and extends outwards.
- Mansard roof
This design is popular in historic buildings. A mansard roof has two slopes on each of its sides. Although quite conspicuous, a mansard is a popular design in many homes across the globe.
As you have seen, there are a few different options to choose from for commercial roofing. The best choice for your business property will depend on factors like budget, climate, and the specific needs of your building.
If you are still uncertain which option is best for you, reach out to a commercial roofing contractor in your area for help.
Choosing the right roofers:
You want to make sure you work with a reputable, experienced contractor when it comes to roofing. There are a few boxes that all top roofing contractors check, and this will help you verify the suitability of the roofers for the job:
License and insurance
The roofing contractor should be licensed and have insurance to work on your roof. Make sure to ask for proof of both before hiring anyone. Insurance will protect you in case of accidents, and a license will ensure that the contractor knows what they are doing.
You also want to ensure that the contractor has experience with the type of roofing material you have. For instance, if you have a metal roof, you want to hire a contractor who has experience working with metal roofs.
Finally, make sure to ask about the warranty. Most reputable roofing contractors will offer some guarantee on their work, so if they don’t mention it, that should be a red flag.
Take some time to read online reviews or ask for referrals from friends or family. This will help you weed out the contractors with poor quality history.
Go with a contractor with payment plans that fit your budget. Don’t always go for very cheap contractors. Also, not all expensive contractors are guaranteed to deliver.
A good roofing contractor will happily provide you with a free estimate. Be careful of any contractor who asks for money upfront before starting the job.
You want to ensure the contractor is qualified to work on your particular type of roof. Ask about their experience and training and if they have any certifications.
Choosing a contractor with experience in the type of roofing you need is essential. For example, if you have a complex roof, you will want to ensure the contractor has experience working on that type of roof.
By applying these tips, you can be confident that you are choosing a reputable, experienced roofing contractor who will do a fantastic job on your roof.
Work with the Best Roofers, Bryan TX
Riteway Construction Services is a licensed, insured, and locally operated company that has served Bryan, TX, and the surrounding areas for over 20 years.
We are a full-service roofing company serving both residential and commercial clients, and we offer a wide variety of roofing services, from repairs to replacements to new construction.
Our team of licensed and experienced roofers has the knowledge and expertise to handle any roofing project, no matter how big or small.
We use only the highest quality materials and stand behind our work with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Our services include:
- Residential Roofing: We offer a wide range of roofing services to residential properties, from repairs to replacements to new construction. We handle all roofs, including shingles, tile, metal, and flat roofs.
- Commercial roofing: We offer various commercial roofing services, including built-up roofing, modified bitumen roofing, single-ply membrane roofing, and more. We have experience working on all types of commercial roofs and can help you choose the best option for your business.
- Roof repair: No matter what type of problem you have with your roof, we can help. We also offer emergency repair services available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Roof replacement: If your roof is beyond repair, we can help you choose the best replacement option and install it quickly and efficiently.
- Roof maintenance: Whether one-time or ongoing, our roof maintenance services can help extend the life of your roof and prevent expensive repairs down the road. Some of our maintenance services include cleaning, inspections, and repairs.
- Roof inspection: We offer both general and comprehensive roof inspections. The former includes assessing every aspect of the roof. A thorough inspection is a more in-depth evaluation of your roof and can be scheduled annually or as needed.
- New construction: We also offer new construction roofing services. We will work with you to choose the best roofing option for your new home or business and install it properly to ensure it lasts for years to come.
If you need any roofing service, from repairs to replacements to new construction, we are here to help.
Why work with us?
There are many roofing companies, so why should you work with us? Here are a few reasons:
- We are a family-owned and operated business, treating our customers like family.
- We have been serving Bryan and the surrounding areas for over 20 years. We have valuable experience and know everything there is to know about roofs.
- We are a full-service roofing company, offering everything from repairs to replacements to new construction.
- We use only the highest quality materials and stand behind our work with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- Our experienced team of professionals has the knowledge and expertise to handle any roofing project, whether big or small.
- We have a 4.4-star rating and an 80% recommendation rate on HomeAdvisor. On Angi, we have a 4.9-star rating.
- Better Business Bureau accredits us.
Riteway Construction Services is the premier choice for roofing in Bryan, TX. We guarantee 100% customer satisfaction and offer a free estimate for all our services. Call us at 979-777-8693 – (979) 589-1331.
How much does new roofing cost?
The cost of a new roof depends on numerous factors, including the size of your roof, the material you choose, and whether you need any repairs or replacements. Contact us today for a free estimate.
How often should my roof be inspected?
Have your roof inspected once a year to identify potential problems before they become serious.
What are the signs that I need a new roof?
There are several signs that you may need a new roof, including leaks, missing shingles, and cracked or curled shingles. If you notice any of these problems, contact us immediately for an inspection.
What are your hours of operation?
We are open Monday through Saturday, from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm. We also offer emergency repair services 24 hours a day, seven days a week. So don’t hesitate to call us in case of a sudden roofing problem.
How long do new roof installations take?
The time it takes to install a new roof depends on the size and complexity of the project. Most roof installations take one or two days.
How do I get started?
To get started, contact us at 979-777-8693 – (979) 589-1331 for a free estimate. You can also fill in our “request quote” form. We will inspect your roof and then provide a written estimate of the project’s cost. After getting the go-ahead on the quote, we will schedule a time to complete the work.